**You may also use 7pm Tech - W8 AIO Tool to backup and restore activation for Windows 8 and Office 2013**
Why backing up ? simply because every time you format and reinstall, you need to activate Windows again : looking for a valid MAK key, calling Micro$oft or waiting for a KMS server to go online.. That's a PAIN !
So here i'm gonna explain how to backup and restore activation status on Windows 8 OS using ATM. I'm assuming you already have an activated system, so LET'S START !
-> BACKUP YOUR ACTIVATION
Download Advanced Tokens Manager (~1.6mb), extract the zip file and run the executable.
Click "Activation Backup" button.
Click "Yes" to confirm (backup process will take only few moments).
Once it's done, a folder named “Windows Activation Backup” will appear in the same folder that you launched the tool from, it contains the backup (DO NOT MODIFY ANYTHING INSIDE! )
* OPTIONAL: Now that you have your own backup, it's recommended to place* it in safe storage media to prevent any accidental deletion/damage
(*move the folder containing both tool and backup somewhere safe)
-> RESTORE THE ACTIVATION
Ok, let's suppose you had to format your PC and now you're running on a new Windows installation, as you can see, it's not activated yet
Oh.. you did backup your activation before?
Good, then go back to the backup folder and run Advanced Manager again, this time you will see "Activation Restore" instead of "Activation Backup".
Click on "Activation Restore" button
Confirm to start restoration
it'll take 1~5 minutes, network connection will be disabled while restoring
VOILA ! Restoration completed.
Now refresh your desktop, i bet the watermark has vanished ! BUT it's always better to check activation status in System Properties, or by running slmgr.vbs -xpr in Command Prompt.
* FOR EXPERT USERS: Restoration details can be found in a log file (ATMLog on * at *.log) inside ATM folder.
* As you may notice, no restart is needed, no login to safe mode, and the good news is, the new version of ATM (which can be downloded from it official site) has now full support for Phone Activation Restore (means no need to call again), but unfortunately no longer support for KMS activation, only permanent activation is now supported.
* Use the version provided in this thread (from the link in top of topic) to backup KMS activation (please pm if the link is dead).
* Advanced Token Manager also supports Office 2010, Office 2013 Activation and works on all versions of Windows 7.
-> I BACKED UP MY ACTIVATION, DID A NEW INSTALLATION BUT I'M NOT ABLE TO RESTORE, WHY?
- The key you're using doesn't match the one used to activate the old Installation, the backup wont work unless you manually enter the same previous Key.
Inside the Backup Folder, open Config.ini file where you can find that key, run slmgr -ipk "KEY" (as admin) to apply it, then try to restore again.
- Major hardware changes detected, so in case you backed up a Phone Activation, the backup is valid only for the same or similar configuration.
- Backup period (180 days) has expired (in case you activated through KMS, the backup is valid for 6 months only).
- if you backed up an OEM Activation, you need to have a valid SLIC Table.
-> [UPDATE] BACKUP/RESTORE ACTIVATION FOR WINDOWS 8 PRO WITH MEDIA CENTER:
BACKUP: In case you upgraded using the WMC key from MS offer, making backup of the activation is the same as described above.
RESTORE: After a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro*, get activated first then add WMC with the same key from the offer, system will reboot, after that launch Advanced Tokens Manager and restore the activation: first try may fail, try again and it will restore successfully.
* because Windows 8 ProWMC can't be installed directly
Sorry about the language, i use french version of Win8